What is this?

Thursday, April 28, 2011

My heart is in Hawaii


Most of you who have know me a while, know that I love Hawaii. You also know that I would love to live there and somewhat wished I was a native. In the past, it was easy to become friends with me, all you needed to do was ask if I was from Hawaii. Also, if you were from Hawaii, you were instantly my best friend and we would have a one hour chat about your homeland. I always dreamed of going to Hawaii.
I went through a phase in high school where everything in my bedroom was Hawaiian/Luau/Beach decorated. I had everything from a grass skirt turned bed skirt, to parrots hanging from my ceiling. On the walls of my bedroom were cascades of beach pictures from magazines, maps of the island, or any picture that looked like Hawaii.  I even thought about putting sand on my carpet to have a beechy feel when you walked in.  Don't worry, it didn’t happen.

My dream of visiting the island finally came true. On October 16, 2009, we landed in Honolulu, Hawaii. I was teary eyed when the plane touched down, and I thought “I am home.”– You are probably thinking “a little dramatic” but all the years of staring at my Hawaii wall in my bedroom and having Luau birthday parties, I was getting to experience the real thing. 

 
Now that I am married and have a house to share with someone who doesn't love Hawaii as much I as do, I still get to have a grown up beach room in one of the bedrooms. Thanks Love.

Since I have been to Hawaii now, I appreciate the little things that make it one of my favorite places to see. To make it feel more like "home" I have a new hibiscus plant that brings the island to my home. This was a Easter gift from my mom, who still gives me Hawaii/Beach/Luau decorations for my house. 

Thanks mom dad for letting me live in my own paradise while living in your home.



5 comments:

  1. YeyyyYY! Glad I found your blog!!!!!!!!! Wooohooo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT? You love Hawaii? J/k. I love that your mom still give you beachy gifts. And I LOVE that hibiscus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To those of you who have considered visiting Hawaii, a word of advice. You know how there are those types of places that seem too good to be true, but then once you finally visit there it's a bit of a let down? Well, Hawaii is not one of those places! Go there, now. Confession time....I think the beach room is one of my favorite rooms in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been & I used the think "eh, hawaii...who cares?" I think I was turned off by the ideas that I head it was mega-touristy and overcrowded. Now that I see all the more remote areas & waterfalls, volcanos, etc- I am DYING to go.

    But Colorado has always been like that for me- I started going as a child & I've been hooked ever since. I'd move there in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, I like how it turned into a tribute to your parents thing. Do they read this?

    ReplyDelete