What is this?

Monday, April 25, 2011

"Sure, I will take a cupcake with that"

Every morning I have my coffee and get ready for work, then I have breakfast. It usually looks like this:
I go to the pantry and open the door, then I stare into the pantry like I do my closet when I can't find anything to wear.

I wish I could say that I usually have a healthy cereal or a whole grain english muffin with almond butter and fruit on the side.  Those would be the ideal breakfast if I didn't have a sweet tooth in the morning. To be honest, my breakfast usually consist of Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal, a bagel or waffles with syrup.

Maybe I have trained my tongue and senses to only have sweet things for breakfast, because that is the only thing I really want in the morning. If I did not gain weight and it did not matter how it affected my day, I would have cupcakes for breakfast. A warm chocolate cake with icing on top and a cold glass of low fat milk. (maybe that would help)
But reality is, I can't, unless it's my Birthday...or Valentines, Christmas, Memorial Day and even 4th of July. 


I really want to like oatmeal or something healthier in the morning. Yes, I have tried adding fruits, nuts, cinnamon, honey, and even crasins. To me it's just so bland. Growing up, I usually had toast with butter or sometimes my mom would make oatmeal. She made the best oatmeal, and all it was, was instant Quaker Oats. I don't know what she did, but it made the perfect consistency and taste every time. Ever since I have been on my own, I have tried to make oatmeal, but it looks and taste nothing like moms did. It taste more like chunky soggy cardboard oats. Like I cooked the cylinder box with the oats.

Like the picture above shows, I tried making oatmeal on Saturday morning and followed a recipe by Jillian Michaels. It called for pecans and apples, with a pinch of cinnamon. I tasted it..then I added more apples, then a little sugar, and then I added some crasins. It still did not taste good, I felt like I had to force myself to eat it and pretend it was good. At one point, I thought about holding my nose and eating it, but instead I just chewed without trying to taste it.  (hard to explain without sounding like a child)

Ugh, I want to find something I like that is good for me. Any suggestions? 

P.S. - I ate half the bowl and then ate an apple to get the taste out. 
P.S.S- Here is a picture of what I had today
English Muffin with some Butter

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha! I love it Melinda! Okay, I have found a way to make oatmeal that satisfies my sweet tooth. I like it with applesauce, honey (generous amount), raisins, and some berries if I fancy. It may not do it for you...but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. catching up from blog posts i didn't realize were going on!! one of my favorite things to eat for breakfast, snack, dessert, anytime I want something sweet is Vanilla Greek Yogurt, a drizzle of honey, and blackberries that I smash in the yogurt until it turns into a lovely deep purple color. the greek yogurt is so smooth and creamy like sour cream, and all the sweetness satisfies my sweet tooth cravings. let me know if you try it!

    ReplyDelete