What is this?

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Band-Aid and Day 2


Kona has gone through many toys since we've had her. Above, if you can't tell, is a stuffed dog. This toy dog was given to her from the breeder when we got her as a "going away toy" and it also smelled like her mom and siblings. For the first few weeks, we would let Kona sleep with "Stuffie" so that she would have a scent of her family with her and help with the transition. We had to take Stuffie away when her teeth became stronger and when she discovered that there was stuffing inside that was fun to take out. I decided to put Stuffie on the shelf in the laundry room until I learned to sew. 

Over time, the laundry shelf became filled with other ripped and chewed toys that I wanted to sew up, but did not have the tools to do so. So, after staring at the chewed up "money" in the laundry room, I decided that I was not going to buy anymore toys until I tried to sew at least one back together. I felt so bad when I would catch Kona laying down by the laundry room door because she knew Stuffie and other toys were inside.

One rainy day I felt so bad that Kona could not be outside to play, so I opened up the junk drawer and grabbed my duct tape. Kona followed me and the duct tape to the laundry room and I had her wait outside patiently. I then came out with Stuffie looking like the picture above. Here are a few of her other toys that we have put a "band-aid" on.

This little piggy did not go to the market, it went to the laundry room.
Since that day, I have continued to tape up her toys so that she can play with them for a few minutes. Then about 5 minutes later, after she has torn the toy in a different area,  I take it and put it back in the laundry room. What I do reminds me of a band-aid because I am putting it on a boo boo until it can heal (sewn up) 

Here is a clip of what she likes to do with her dog




A few questions you might ask:
So do you not buy toys anymore?
Yes, we buy Kona toys often, but we can't every week. We do need to pay for electricity and food too. 

Do you just buy stuffed toys?
No, we buy her other things like Nylabones, Kong EXTREME toys, and other stuff recommended.  We have also gone though at least a dozen tennis balls.

Have you changed the way you pick out toys?
We don't believe dog toys packages when they says things like: indestructible, tough or strongest toy.  We really like recommended toys, so please share the knowledge. 

P.S. - Kona turns 1 on June 8th! Lifetime warranty toys are greatly appreciated.

 Something to Celebrate: Jonathan and I love watching Kona get new toys. We both like to be present when she gets something new to play with so that we can see her excitement. 



More Below: 



Today is Day 2. For those who don't know what this means, you can start here: 30 Days


Day 02 - A picture of you and the person you have been closest with the longest

I would say my sister. We have known each other for almost 28 years. We became friends in College and I am an aunt to Julia and Hudson. Even though she is across the world, I feel like we grow closer every time we talk. Love you Christine. 







3 comments:

  1. That duct tape is hysterical! Mia does the same back rolling and batting at the toy. I just let them (MIA) pull the stuffing out & they run around with deflated limbs and decapitated heads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me laugh. Your duct tape stuffed animals are so cute. I think you should write a children's book including them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kona is so beautiful! I agree with the children's book, could be pretty cute and come with duct tape. And I love the clip, pictures and the commemoration of your ate

    ReplyDelete