What is this?

Friday, May 27, 2011

Ya Me Despido Oprah


Translation: It's time to say Goodbye to Oprah

I mentioned Oprah as one of my favorite shows on this post recently and I can't say that I have watched every single Oprah episode for the last 25 years like some people. (that would make me 3 years old when I started watching) I can say that my DVR has been busy at 4 pm for many years now. I am really wishing for a free night here soon so that I can just plop down on the couch and watch her 2 Day Finale show that was this week. I have heard she had lots of surprises and celebrations. 

I do disagree with some of Oprah’s beliefs, but will credit her for many unique and interesting topics on her show that no other show had. It was not just the topics that drew me to her show, but the special guest and famed celebrities that no other show could get. I don't think there will be another daytime talk show that could replace what she brought to the table. 

I joked with a friend the other day that Dr. Phil spoke at our Masters and Doc. cerimony a few weeks ago and I had the pleasure of meeting him and helping him get ready for his appearance. He was a very nice man and gave a great speach to the audience that day. When I told my friend about this, I mentioned that I felt a little closer to Oprah when I met Dr. Phil. 

As I was typing my post, I remembered that I had sent a few e-mails to "Oprah" that I might have saved. This is the only one I could find for now. So to say farwell, I leave you with an e-mail I sent in 2005, (please excuse the awful grammar) :

From:------
Subject: To Oprah
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 03:59:30 +0000

Hi,


I know this is not Oprah that is reading my e-mail. So, Hello to whoever is reading this. I wish I had your job, getting to work with or so close to Oprah. I am sure you open many e-mails that say, "Hi Oprah" like they are really talking to her. I don't think she even has time to get on the internet. But oh well.

Ok, so I was wanting to request to be on the show. I have sent several e-mails in the past asking for different things, but this time, I just want to come on the show.  I know that it is about Self-image, but I was just wondering if I could  come to the show. I could relate since I do deal with many girls who are self conscious and have low self esteem. I would love just to come to the show. I will be in Chicago from March 11-18. I just would like to come to at least one show.


I wish I was at the show when Oprah got her ears pierced. I thought that was so funny. That was the longest piercing ever, or at least the show was. Could you tell her that I thought that was funny? Probably not, but it was worth a try. 

The details: I will be in Chicago Illinois during that week for a Spring Break Mission trip. I have never been to Chicago, but I will be there for the first time and  want to see the Harpo building. I will be working with Campus Crusade and I just was willing to try to come to a show.

I know that there are millions who probably say this same things to you in every e-mail. I bet you have gotten some great e-mails from people asking to come. I know mine is not great, but I was just letting you know I will be in town. I also just wanted to give it a try and see what happens. I know that it would be so great! I have watched her so long. I used to tape her shows when I was in Middle school and High school. Oh well. You have a great job. I want to know how you get to read all this. Well have a great day. You are great for reading all of this.

Melinda Butler.


P.S. - I am embarrassed with the grammar and it was only 6 years ago.. and I was in college. And also, how many times can I say "I just want to come on the show." No wonder I never got tickets - they thought a 6 years old wanted to come.




2 comments:

  1. ah yes, i remember many late nights in college staying up and rewriting your papers.....i mean co-writing, yes that sounds better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you love Oprah, I love her too! I wish some people wouldn't give her such a hard time, because I do feel like she has been an instrument for a lot of good that others aren't in the position to do, despite her beliefs. She has changed the world for the better, regardless of what her beliefs are!

    ReplyDelete