What is this?

Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Happy 1st Birthday!


When I opened my birthday card last year, a picture of Jonathan holding a cute wrinkled puppy was inside. After I looked at that picture, I was sold on having a puppy. (my first pet ever)  Little did we know after picking her up form the breeder, we weren't getting a cute, lazy, sleepy puppy, but we got a cute high energy velcro dog that would change the very way we experience life. Kona has been a great addition to our family, we definitely had times when we almost gave her back or wanted to get rid of her, but so happy we didn't. She has been a joy to have around and I never knew I would love a dog so much - coming from a girl who was afraid of any dog until college.

Yesterday Jonathan and I had a blast celebrating Kona's birthday. I'm sure she heard me say Happy Birthday at least 50 times that day. I know she did not understand it was her birthday, but I wanted to celebrate anyways.

Birthday girl got to sit in the front seat (only for a little bit) Don't worry, I told her not to get used to it

Earlier in the week, I thought about getting Kona a baby pool for her to lay and lounge in the backyard as a birthday present. Jonathan had a much better idea - taking her to swim in the lake. This was Kona's first time to go to the lake, and it looks like it will not be her last. Instead of just lounging in a small pool in the backyard, Jonathan and Kona had so much fun swimming and playing in the water.
 

After the swim, we wanted to bring her to Petsmart.  Shout Out: you can bring your pet inside with you and the best part is, they have FREE treats at the check out counter. (A small side note: This was a itch/dream I have wanted to do just so that she could get a treat) Back to her party- She was like a kid in a candy store just sniffing everything and looking at all the toys. (we left with 2 non stuffed toys. read here why) Also, while we were there, we finally made her a dog tag. - In case we forget her name and our phone number...


I think Jonathan and I had more fun than she did. Just watching her and making a bigger deal of her birthday than most people would was fun - A reason to celebrate! 

P.S. - I don't think I will do this every year, but I just wanted Kona to feel extra special this evening. 

Do you celebrate with your pets or secretly want to?


5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to Kona! Sounds like she had a great celebration :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Kona!!! So proud of my dog-niece :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool that you celebrated the birthday so well! It almost makes me want a dog...

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, and she ended up getting that little pink pig toy she's scoping out in the picture. it was the first one she saw....and what she sees, she gets. spoiled girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely do celebrate with my dogs, both on their birthdays and the anniversaries of when I got them!!! LOVE this post!!!! Was that your first time to take her to PetsMart?

    ReplyDelete